Bad Kissingen is on the banks of the Fränkische Saale. After 1815, the Bavarian State invested heavily in the spa district, causing an enormous economic upswing in the fortunes of Bad Kissingen. The royal court architect Friedrich von Gärtner built the Kursaal, followed by the new cast-iron pavilion over the two important springs of Rakoczi and Pandur.
For the spa’s drinking regimen he constructed arcades and a depot for storing jars of the widely-known Kissingen mineral water. The boom in the spa industry which followed led to the construction of several bathing establishments, beginning with the Salinenbad in 1842, then the Kurhausbad and the Luitpoldbad.
The foundation of the German Empire and a link to the railway system in 1871 gave the spa town another significant boost. Ecclesiastical buildings of different denominations, among them a Russian Orthodox church, bear witness to intercultural exchange. The town also developed into a meeting place for artists and writers. New and highly representative spa buildings were commissioned, including a spa theatre, the Wandelhalle walk with an integrated pump room, and Regent’s House as an assembly room for the noble spa society. An intricate network of garden and parkland developed around the spa area, with the landscape gardens of the Kurpark, the Altenberg, the Luitpoldpark and the Rosengarten.
From the early 19th century, the spa town spread out over the surrounding landscape, eventually coming to include promenades along the river and footpaths into the woods leading to popular restaurants, noteworthy natural sites and scenic lookout points.https://www.badkissingen.de